2020 – 2021
“This committee shall research issues of importance to education employees and students in Texas and shall propose for adoption by the TSTA House of Delegates a Legislative Program recommending state legislative actions related to those issues.”
– TSTA Bylaws, Article IX, Section 1, Subsection D (2)
Legislative Committee Charges 2020-2021
- Review and make recommendations to the TSTA Legislative Program.
- ACTION: The Legislative Committee met once during the 2020-21 year, at which time the Program was reviewed and recommended changes were made.
- Submit a written report, including the proposed Legislative Program, to the 2021 House of Delegates.
- ACTION: The proposed Legislative Program is shown below.
- Be a resource in your local and region on the continuing implementation of HB 3 and other public education legislation.
- ACTION: This was discussed; ongoing information and materials are available to members, leaders, and staff regarding HB3 and other public education legislation.
- Serve as a resource for other TSTA Standing Committees, Special Committees, and Task Forces, to implement their recommendations for the TSTA Legislative Program as needed and if applicable.
- ACTION: The Legislative Committee did not receive recommendations from other committees.
Legislative Committee Members 2020-2021:
- Nataujia DeJohn, Port Arthur Teachers Association (Chair)
- Luis De La Garza, Laredo United TSTA/NEA
- Louie Luna, Harlandale Education Association
- Marci Lee, Klein Education Association
- Lucero Cazares-Rodriguez, Garland Education Association
- Kary Freemyer, TSTA-Conroe
- JL Martinez, Association of Brownsville Educators
- Javier Ruiz, Ector County TSTA/NEA
- Angela Davis, NEA-Dallas
- Christie Ledgerwood, Amarillo Education Association
- Patricia Johnson, TSTA-Retired